Moderators: JuiceWizard, redbull

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Matrix Magnum Motor

Post by Moondog »

OVERVIEW
Evike.com now sells a high torque motor which they advertise ... r 'Magnum', a nod to System's Magnum line. At $45/ea they are half the cost of the Systema but would they perform?

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
The motor came a tiny cardboard box, nestled in a cut-out foam bed. Nice. The build quality seemed excellent with no visible marks of defects.

PRODUCT DETAILS
The ad for the motor says it has a bearings in the spindle for greater efficiency, though I couldn't see that clearly down into the motor to confirm. It's a stronger motor as evidenced by its much stronger magnets. I put the motor on the fridge door and it stayed firmly in place. The JG motor would not even stay up on the fridge.

TESTING
Utilizing a V3 gearbox as the test-bed, I could easily swap out the motors/cages and I could test outside of the AEG and save time.

Motors: JG motor, a Matrix Magnum motor and a Guarder Infinite Torque
Gearbox: Classic Army V3, with a Guarder piston, pistonhead and a PDI-190 spring
Battery: 9.6v 1500mAh small type.

I set up my digital camera to video tape the gearbox being fired. I extracted the sound from the footage and imported it into audio editing software that could display the waveform of the gearbox firing. I counted the peaks and extrapolated the number of times the gearbox fired in a 1 second period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qic3CFklpAw

18 rps = JG
24 rps = Matrix Magnum
28 rps = Guarder Infinite Torque

CONCLUSIONS
Just listening to the gearboxes, I got a vague sense that the Matrix motor was firing a little bit faster than the JG. After checking the ROF via the audio software I was surprised to find that it was 30% faster than the stock JG. Considering the Matrix is only $5 more than a stock JG or TM EG1000 motor, then the Matrix is definitely worth it.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars