Guide: FPS Limits and Safety

New to airsoft? Find out everything you need to know.
Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Guide: FPS Limits and Safety

Post by Moondog »

FPS Limits and Safety
by Moondog

FPS (Feet Per Second) is a the most common measurement for the power of an airsoft gun in the US. Unless stated otherwise in product descriptions, the FPS is the speed that a .20g BB is traveling when it exits the barrel of your gun. This speed is measured using optical or radar chronographs. http://www.airsoftpost.com/accessories- ... 8_134.html

All legal/legit airsoft fields in the NE have FPS limits. This is for safety and for insurance liability. http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=56

Typical Field Limits
400fps for AEGs (15ft safety distance)
500fps for single-fire sniper rifles (100ft safety distance)
300fps for CQB fields (10ft safety distance)

Unless otherwise stated by the field, the chrono stations will measure using .20g BB's and using heavier BB's to 'cheat' the chrono, is just that: cheating. And this is grounds for ejection from any organized games. Your FPS measurement is lower using heavier BB's, but the amount of damage (energy/force) that BB can inflict is the same. A really smart guy named Isaac Newton figured it out and you can read more about that FPS, joules, and BB energy here: http://www.evike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=891

"I play safe. What's the big deal with a +400fps gun?"
Even at 300fps, an airsoft BB can chip a tooth or permanently damage an eye if fired from 20ft. At speeds above 400fps you can break skin. So higher fps limits means a higher potential safety risk. I don't care how safely you play, if you haven't accidentally shot somebody then you will. I'm a Safety Nazi but even I've done it. Remember, the definition of 'accident' is an event that was not intended or planned.

In Japan (where airsoft began), England and other countries, their laws limit airsoft guns to 1 Joule (~303FPS) This is why Tokyo Marui's have a stock FPS of 300 and why Classic Army and others have a stock FPS below 330. In the US and other parts of the world, airsofters have modified/upgraded their guns to fire at higher speeds.

But as the US airsoft market has grown, many Chinese manufacturers have pre-upgraded their products to meet US buyers. Since 2007 stock AEG's gone up from 300fps to 350fps. And since 2008 it is not uncommon for new JG AEG's to shoot 400fps or higher out of the box.

While this is great for those that don't want to hassle with upgrading their AEG's for field games, it has led to concerns about safety, especially for uninformed parents who buy 400fps AEG's for their kids to play in their backyards, thinking they are toys!

Remember FPS limits are limits not goals. With a 300fps rifle, you can still reach targets up to 100ft away! Higher FPS and ROF (Rate of Fire) will not get you more kills, it just gets you a lazier kills. The cheapest and most reliable way to upgrade your performance is to upgrade your tactics and skills.

"What if my AEG shoots too hot?"
http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=39

Play safe. Have fun.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Brick Stone
First Name: Brian
Last Name: David

Re: Guide: FPS Limits and Safety

Post by Brick Stone »

Your final link... "What if my AEG shoots too hot" - Goes nowhere Admin. Was trying to finish this read with that post.

EDIT; Also "All legal/legit airsoft fields in the NE have FPS limits. This is for safety and for insurance liability" - The link after this... is dead too.
...Stone Out

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Guide: FPS Limits and Safety

Post by Moondog »

Thanks for the heads up. Links updated.
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars