Star L85A2 with SUSAT review

Detailed reviews and links to reviews of weapons and gear

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

Star L85A2 with SUSAT review

Post by Nachostheclown »

Part I

Before I decided I wanted to get an L85, I really didnt know much about the real steel version. I had seen some Brits wandering around Iraq with them, but never got a chance to talk to any of them. The SA80 series of weapons have had a rough going over the years. The first versions were so crappy that to much pressure on the receiver could crush it. There where even reports that standard mosquito repellent would melt the stock. I'm not sure if I would be more worried about the weapon or the fact I was putting that repellent on my body. The weapon was finally upgraded by HK in the mid 90's giving us the L85A2. The weapon is now one of the premier military rifles in the world. Reports of the weapon being difficult to clean still persist.

On to the Star L85A2. This gun was ordered through the Warstore. This was my first deal with the Warstore and I must say I am very impressed. The gun was not in stock but Todd got the gun and SUSAT in within a week. The gun used to come in a hard case but now comes in a simple cardboard box. In the box was the weapon, mag, loading tool, manual and a combo tool.

The gun is made of mostly metal and is very heavy. I have never held the real thing but my guess is this is very close as far as feel and weight.

The SUSAT comes in a very nice plastic pelican style case. It even comes with a cover. The SUSAT is all metal and looks and feels like real military optics. The actual sight is amazing for an airsoft replica. It is 4 power and uses a simple pointer type redical.

The SUSAT mounts in place of the carry handle. The front sight is also removed. The rail for the SUSAT looks like it will only fit things specially made for the L85.

In the pistol grip is a nice little combo tool for taking off the hand guards and adjusting the sights.

The gun has nice realistic markings on the receiver.

The hop-up is accessed by pulling the charging handle back.

Safety is located just above the trigger. It's a simple push system but it's very solid feeling.

The fire mode selector is located on the rear of the receiver which is a little weird. I'm sure I can get used to it. Push all the way down on the selector and you release the tension on the spring. Neat little feature.

More to follow

Nachostheclown
Site Admin

Re: Star L85A2 with SUSAT review

Post by Nachostheclown »

The gun feels perfect when it is shouldered. It's fairly short for the being the full sized rifle version. I guess bullpup makes a big difference. It would probably be good for CQB.

As compared to Star FNC

As compared to M4 CQB with stock fully extended

How's it shoot. Took it out in the yard and fired off a few mags. It fires nice and crisp in both semi and auto. I have no idea what it's shooting at. It is advertised at around 360fps with .2's. I'm running it on a mini in the fore grip. I noticed that my Mag mags don't slide right into the mag well. You need to push down on the release to get then to seat. Not sure if I like that. My other mags go right in.

I decided to go with the Star because I have never heard anything good about the G+G version. I don't really know anything about the Academy version. So far I really like the gun and will probably try it out as my primary.

I will add more as get more time with the weapon. If you have questions feel free to ask.