How do we legalize airsoft in NYC?

NYC and national airsoft laws and legal issues
Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

How do we legalize airsoft in NYC?

Post by Moondog »

This thread continued from the NYCAirsoft FB group....
Savan Le
Do you guys think airsoft will ever br legal in NYC, and is there anything we can do to kinda push for legalization?
Like · · Unsubscribe · 9 hours ago via mobile

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii Never on a scale where everyone can enjoy it. I forsee the possibility of a select few being allowed to partake in training excercises with law enforcement... MAYBE!
9 hours ago via mobile · Like

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii It would be nice though!
Tom Moondog DelMundo A. The NYPD doesn't want this IF they can be held legally liable for shooting a kid with a gun. You need to get changes to the legal system to give the NYPD cover.

B. You need to get a written petition and hundreds of registered voters signatures.

C. You need to be very good friends with city councilman who could draft a change to the city ordinance.
9 hours ago · Like · 2 people

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii I highly doubt any of these things will ever happen... Honestly.

Redbull There will be a thousand things legal first before airsoft becomes legal.
9 hours ago · Like · 1 person

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii Yea, like "green cards"! Lol
8 hours ago via mobile · Like

Redbull And even if it's legal, imagine the out cry from busy nobodies who have nothing to do then to ban things.

Guns [airsoft is a replica of a real gun, and anti-gunners see them as the same thing ]has not part of the NYC culture for a few decades.

Older people remember that when they were kids, they used to carry a .22 rifle into the subway, go to school, leave it hanging on the wall in the back of the classroom, and after school, shoot the gun. Imagine people's brains would explode if you tell them that today.
8 hours ago · Like · 1 person

Joseph M. Faillace what about the idea of permits to allow for the ownership of an airsoft gun within the five boroughs?
8 hours ago · Like

Redbull Same, NYC government rather not even touch it, banning it is the easiest thing for those high school drop outs to facilitate.
8 hours ago · Like

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii Joseph... The link below will explain nyc's laws regarding ownership of air guns.
http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=813

Joseph M. Faillace In that case, how does one get a permit for an airsoft gun? And why isn't that info more readily available?
8 hours ago · Like

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii These are things that anyone interested in aquiring, must do the foot work on there own. The information is readily available at the link I provided. Read especially the red highlighted sections. Your answers should be there.

Joseph M. Faillace My question was more toward where to get the permit, not that if they are available. I'm having a hard time finding a specific place to research getting one. I did read the highlighted areas (despite being thick legaleze), but still fail to see where to inquire about a permit.
8 hours ago · Like

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii I will find out for you. What boro are you located in?

Derek Poma even if you get airsoft guns legal. then what? you want an indoor field in manhattan or rego park? could it happen? well the DC gun ban got over turned. who saw that coming.

Joseph M. Faillace I'm in Queens, but I also have friends in Brooklyn with whom I play.
8 hours ago · Like

Joseph M. Faillace Thank you, btw. It might just be worth it for us (my friends and I) to get a few permits, just to be on the safe side, rather than sneaking around.
8 hours ago · Like

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii The permit will NOT allow you to play airsoft IN the city ANYWHERE. It is simply a possession permit.
8 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1 person

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii So NO sneaking around, with or without a permit! Lol

Joseph M. Faillace lol. I understood that it's for possession, not to play. It would allow us to sleep a little better knowing that we could get a permit to have them in the house so we can play on L.I. or upstate. We're pretty new to the sport and pretty hooked, so it would be a big drag to get in legal trouble despite treating them like they were real, keeping them in proper cases, etc. We follow the rules, but it's more for a "just in case" than to give a reason to play in the street, which we wouldn't do anyhow.

Derek Poma A permit is not gonna stop a neighbor from dialing the police cause you walked out your front door with a hard riflecase with a sticker on it that says " here's a bullet, go out and vote" or " I love parades"
8 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2 people

Joseph M. Faillace No, but it will help when I talk to the nice L.E.O. that shows up.
8 hours ago · Like

Rafael Perez Hey Joseph you don't need a license all you need is commen sense!!!!!!

Rafael Perez EVEN IF YOU HAD A LICENSE FOR A REAL GUN YOU WALK DOWN THE STREET BRANDISHING IT YOU WILL GET SHOT..
8 hours ago · Like

Joseph M. Faillace I hope I have enough of that, it's more of an abundance of caution type thing. I want to make sure i've covered my bases to be on the safe side. You just never know. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
8 hours ago · Like

Joseph M. Faillace I'm not a 16yr old dolt. I take my new hobby very serious, and expect those i participate with to treat it the same.
8 hours ago · Like

Derek Poma Rafael, brandishing is a universal law in all cities. But your neighbor who reports it doesn't know or care. Once a rifle case is seen in your hands in the 5 boroughs, it was nice knowing you.
8 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1 person

Rafael Perez I have a case and I don't walk down braodway with it cause there owning need to. I did purchase a 5.11 bag that looks like a hiking bag so I can carry my aeg rifle and not bring unwanted attention to myself!
8 hours ago · Like

Rafael Perez Moondog has posted on the website the rules and guide lines take the time out and read them. At the bottom there are several portals to assist you as well!

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii The point here is 16, 6 or 60, there are rules to be followed. If you want to go thru a million hoops & 10,000 feet of red tape to obtain an air permit (that by the way is meant for hunting type air rifles) feel free. Its just an unnecessary hurdle for a sport that is self monitored, & fellow airsofter educated. That is the reason for this group, & others like it throughout the country. Alot of what you find useful at nycairsoft.com is a synergy of experience from many airsofters so that newcomers dont have to make as many mistakes or learn the hard way like we did.
2 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1 person

Gordon Chen There's always children out there who will point a gun at a cop. Last time this child point a water gun and empty half of his tank without mercy. Just thinking about it, if that was a bb gun he's going to pull the trigger on me!

This hobby should be taken as common sense and the lawmaker should treat those bad children as bad children because they will have to learn the hard way. If they get shot it's their fault!
2 hours ago · Like

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii I agree with you in part, but without education the kids will not know proper gun safety. My sons are 16 & 9, they have been around firearms since birth. Between myself, my sister & my father they have been taught how & most importantly WHEN to touch a weapon. They are aware that they are destructive devices that can kill or mame & will ask you before taking a weapon you offer whether it is loaded or not. They will quickly pull there hands away if you say that it is loaded. I believe that if you nip the curiosity in the butt early on, they will be less likely to do stupid things with weapons... Airsoft or Real steel.
about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1 person

AngelMitsukai SonoftheSky SosaUramishii Too many people consider weapons to be taboo & never allow there children to even have a water pistol. I think that just greats a dangerous curiosity that can have deadly consequences.
about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1 person

Turon Alvarez Edwards true story my GF got really sick and needed medical attention, i was not home so she called 911 for the ambulance..i get a phone call at work about whats going on...rush home to find EMS and NYPD in my apartment... my guns (AEG'S) are against my wall lined up in my bedroom...i know nypd saw them because they had to access the bedroom to get to my GF....and they did!! caused they asked about them when i got there, i told them what they were and they just said as long as you do not brandish them outside of your apartment you are good!!....i live on 70th and Bway near Lincoln Center...if that matters.
11 minutes ago · Like
H
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Re: How do we legalize airsoft in NYC?

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

I want to be clear. The only possible way the laws pertaining to airsoft in nyc being changed is through educating the public. Nyc has had such a dark history as far as crime goes, that most people fear anything that can used in a violent crime. If the politicians had there way here in the city, you would also need a special permit/license to own a utility knife! Sad but true.
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

primer
First Name: Ted
Last Name: Colegrove

Post by primer »

Mitsukai wrote:you would also need a special permit/license to own a utility knife! Sad but true.
Woah!? Really?
Want to change my signature? http://www.x24d.com/sig_changer/
Moondog wrote:Yes, friendly fire still kills you. Same as real life.

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

Concerning the legality of airsoft, please read the thread on it to add to this discussion: http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=767

I would support an initiative to offer legal permits for airsoft IF (and this is a big IF)

A. Would not be modeled after the current handgun/rifle licensing requirements
It takes hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours to procure to get certified in NYC.
Here's an example of how much of a hassle it currently is. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permi ... _faq.shtml
• A pistol license costs $340. A rifle/shotgun license is $140. If you want both licenses, you have to apply twice, in two different locations and pay twice.
• You must go to the NYPD and get fingerprinted and they charge you $95 to do it
• If you want to buy/sell a gun, you must apply for each one you buy
• Your application is reviewed, which takes a couple of weeks. If they reject it, they don't have to explain why. You have to request an explanation in an appeals process.

B. NYC offered a general airsoft permit that would allow purchase/sale/ownership/transport:
• Cost under $100/pp/year
• Cover all airsoft guns owned and not require permits for each toy
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

DegreE
First Name: Richard
Last Name: A****

Post by DegreE »

Need more republicans on office.
[KWA M226 PTP]--[Echo1 Stag-15]---[Echo1 VGM-74]--[Echo1 Red★Star]

Rosales
Site Admin
First Name: Japheth
Last Name: Rosales

Post by Rosales »

DegreE wrote:Need more republicans on office.
i couldnt agree with you moar ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of a dragon. For you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Fallout: Buran veteran
T4T 2012, 2013, 2014
OP: Seabird
Bad Blood 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 veteran

Moondog
Site Admin

Post by Moondog »

Actually we need more Libertarians in office. Bloomberg is a Republican and he's staunchly anti-gun and so is the NYPD brass (anti "civilian" gun ownership).

redbull
Site Admin

Post by redbull »

The issue with NYC is, in NYS, there's no preemption on the 2 amendment. In MANY parts of NYS, you can be licensed to carry a real gun but as soon as you get close to NYC, ALL STATE gun law become VOID AND NULL. NYC has the MOST restrictive laws in all of USA.

Why? Because they said so [and the racist Sullivan act said so].

Airsoft legality is not an issue in most of NYS, that's why you can play in Long Island and upstate.

But as soon as it gets to NYC, they can use Sullivan Act as excuse to deny ALL forms of legal usage of airsoft toy replicas.

Trust me on this one when I said it again and again: the only way to change NYC is to sue the hell out of the city gov. There are a lot of 2A gurus working on this issue. That's why SAF won Heller vs DC and Mcdonald Vs Chicago.

redbull
Site Admin

Post by redbull »

Moondog wrote:Actually we need more Libertarians in office. Bloomberg is a Republican and he's staunchly anti-gun and so is the NYPD brass (anti "civilian" gun ownership).
He's a Democrat changed into Rep just so that Rudy can endorse them. Rep is a neutered party in NYS and does not stand for ANYTHING that real Republicans stand for.

libertarian, with a small L, is probably gonna get more wind in their sail then a Rep.

redbull
Site Admin

Post by redbull »

chromedome wrote:
DegreE wrote:Need more republicans on office.
i couldnt agree with you moar ;)

One can disagree with a Rep on MANY things, but in general, they are much better in gun issues [unless it's a R in Cali and NYS].

If you want abortion and gay rights, as well as the right to get others money for not working, then, sure, by all means disagree.

But when it comes to gun rights, Reps in general are much more supportive of the issue.