Uniforms, vests, belts, holsters, shoes and headwear

Moderators: primer, Shogun Mitsu

Shogun Mitsu
Site Admin
First Name: Angel
Last Name: Sosa

Winter camo and loadout

Post by Shogun Mitsu »

Well with summer a week from over, I figured theres no better time then now to talk WINTER CAMO options. While many may opt out of winter games, I myself have NO FEAR of snow or chilling temperatures. My 15 years working with The New York city Dept. of Sanitation gave me a serious tolerance for the cold, so why wouldnt I enjoy some trigger time in the snow? I am now getting a snow kit together & I have found WAY to many options, as far as uniforms go. It will come down to personal preference I guess. One thing that has made my many winters of chipping ice off of city streets go smoothly is the proper footwear. Most of us guys, & gals of the DSNY use Mickey Mouse boots in black. I must say that these boots have kept us all warm & dry when out there for 12-16 hours in the snow while most of you are in a warm cozy bed. I HIGHLY recommend these boots, if you are brave enough to join me in some winter trigger time! ;)
Here is a link to see the Mickey Mouse boots in white, but bear in mind that us nyc sanitation workers have found the same boots on ebay for much less. I hope to see you all on a snow covered field sometime this winter with the proper footwear to enjoy yourself.
Mitsukai- out
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/whi ... valve.html
~STRENGTH & HONOR~
NYCAirsoft.com the definitive guide to airsoft for NYC, connecting airsoft players in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and around the world.
ACCOUNT VALIDATION INSTRUCTIONS
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=379

Moondog
Site Admin
First Name: Tom
Last Name: DelMundo

Re: Winter camo and loadout

Post by Moondog »

I split your post as I think it's good stand-alone topic.

For winter in the NE, there is very little foliage for cover. Tan and gray camo afford you the best concealment on the ground or near trees whitened by old paintball paint. UCP/ACU, often derided for use in woods, is actually a superb winter camouflage, especially in snow covered fields.

All-white camouflage is helpful when snow covers the ground. But it can be a liability if snow is very patchy. You must still be aware of your background because a white figure in front of a tree or large bush, stands out.

All-white camo also makes IFF (Identify Friend/Foe) problematic. ID will largely depend on the color of your vest, webbing or headgear, if at all. A white helmet cover and wrapping your rifle with white bandages or masking tape is often more helpful than wearing white clothing.

See here for my article on tips for Cold Weather Airsoft: http://nycairsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ld+weather
Goggles fogging? Get Moondog D-Fog :: See the RULES forum :: Please complete your new account activation. :: Read the guide on face photo avatars

phridum
Site Admin
First Name: Travis
Last Name: Barrett

Post by phridum »

Little known fact: "Urban" camouflage was actually developed as a snowy alpine environment pattern.

Consider what the environment looks like and emulate it. The best camo uniform in the world blends best once it has been worn a week or two in the field. Then it blends pretty well because the environment is caked all over it.

Bottom:
Get some surplus Overwhites and dust them from a distance with some dark spray paint. Just to give them a shadowy look to match up with the shadows created in windswept snow drifts. Boots may not be relevant if the snow is deep enough. Color is less important than warm and dry.

Top:
If you have a full set of Overwhites, turn the top into a ghillie. Hopefully it's hooded, which makes a nice setup. Make it like a regular ghillie and you'll look like a snowy tree. When you go prone (which you probably won't because snow is cold...and wet), scoop snow over your shoulder and get it to stick in the ghillie stuff. If you have another ghillie top to use, strip a white t-shirt and mix them in. Consider wearing your rig/vest UNDER the top. This protects it and doesn't break up your camo with harsh lines. Or dust with spray paint.

Headkill
Site Admin

Post by Headkill »

I still like using my chinese PLA Type03 Tibet Flecktarn. Brown/black mixes in with trees and if it's muddy, the ground!

Russian
Site Admin
First Name: Alexander
Last Name: Sosnovski

Post by Russian »

I really love my winter camo. It's works just perfect in snow.